Re: aty128fb

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

Yea vinai messaged me back because I asked if he could send me his old kernel that had everrything working, and he told me he has it compiled for his Mach 64 chip, and that wouldn't help me with my Rage128, but no fears, it confused me too. When he said that the debian kernel lost support at some point for rhis graphics card, he wrote mach 64 but I overlooked it, I also thought he meant mine. So what's so bad about compiling my own kernel? Sven's trying to talk me out of it. but I am still going to compile that rc2 one, and tell you if it works for me.

Heh, I don't know why sven is trying to talk you out of it... It's sure
better to use a "distribution" kernel, but in this case, I need more
data about the problem and will probably ask you to do hacks here or
there in the kernel to find where the problem is, and I can't bother
doing that one whatever debian kernel is, I work directly on upstream
versions. Once the problem is fixed, of course, sven can backport to
debian.

So things to make sure of: Use the pmac_defconfig for the kernel you are
building yourself (a make pmac_defconfig && make oldconfig shoudl take
care of that, it might still ask you for a few questions, but it should
get the bulk of the stuff in place). If you aren't too confident, you
can also just pull the config used by debian, do zcat /proc/config.gz
.config from a running debian ppc kernel then make oldconfig to
validate it. Just make sure aty128fb is _built_in_.

Then also test both card connectors if you can.

Finally, let me know the results, and we'll move from there.

Ben.

Ok, ben, I am slightly beyond a newbie, but not that far. Ummm, where to start. I have never used make oldconfig, didn't understand the manual page on zcat. Ok the process I have used is
1) Get source
2) Untar Source
3) make menuconfig
4) configure it
5) make-kpkg --revision=blah --append_to_version=blah kernel-image
I do get ya on the debian kernel config thing, first kernel I compiled 2.6.11.6 I used the config file for 2.6.8-powerpc that's in the /boot directory.
Oh and hacking at it, you'll have to hold my hand :)
--Mike