Re: aty128fb

> I am still unable to start my computer with video=aty128fb and X is
> still complaining about no frame buffer devices, even though I have
> /dev/fb1 - 9 or 8.  I am utterly frustrated at this, and I have found
> no help in anything I have read on line I can pass video=aty128fb
> argument on the command line, but I don't think it does anything.  I
> even installed fbset and ran the command to output the configuration
> needed for X, but didn't understand it, is someone having similar
> problems?

Not just a problem for you.  Somewhere along the line, I also lost
support for my Mach64 video card, even doing text boots into a console.
This loss of support was in the Debian kernels - which is why I didn't
notice when that happened - as I normally compile my own kernels.

The best result I've had is from an installer kernel - it was able to
text-boot into d-i and let me install testing a couple of months ago.
But the kernel it installed for actually running the system again did
not give me any video on boot.

So what I do now is boot blindly, login and start X.  I have my old X
settings from when I had fully supported video, and the video drivers
in X still work, thankfully.  And I keep around a 2.4 kernel which has
full (working) support for all my hardware, just in case I need to do
diagnostics on boot.

vinai

vinai