kernel 2.6.12-rc2

ok I did some reading, now the 2.6.12-rc2 patch needs to be applied directly to the 2.6.11 kernel source, right? I tried applying it to the debian kernel-source-2.6.11 tree but some of the patch failed, and ultimately make-kpkg failed. So I am guessing the debian tree is a little different. I also read Linus's directions, do I really have to Symlink /usr/src/linux/include/asmppc to /usr/include/asm and /usr/src/linux/include/linux to /usr/include/linux and /usr/src/linux/include/scsi to /usr/include/scsi having already symlinked /usr/src/(kernel source) to /usr/src/linux? Because on my previous compiles I never did that. If so cool, if not I need to figure out how to fix those things.
--Mike