Re: apple trackpad driver update

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 09:15 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
 Apple can't "ignore" that, it's simply not possible,
> unless they actually send two packets and the USB stack itself is
> coalescing them...

I wouldn't be too sure about that, quoting the specs:

(page 44)
The bus frequency and frame timing limit the maximum number of
successful interrupt transactions within a frame for any USB system to
less than 108 full-speed one-byte data payloads or 14 low-speed one-byte
data payloads. A Host Controller, for various implementation reasons,
may not be able to provide the above maximum number of interrupt
transactions per frame.

(so 81 bytes fit since I think the kb/trackpad is connected via it's own
controller -- which is really necessary even at 64 bytes/msec)

Also:
(page 43)
All Host Controllers are required to have support for up to 64-byte
maximum data payload sizes for full-speed interrupt endpoints and eight
bytes or less maximum data payload sizes for low-speed interrupt
endpoints. No Host Controller is required to support larger maximum data
payload sizes.

I'd read that as: "if the host controller does it it doesn't hurt to
try"

Maybe I'll try compiling/installing his kernel version and testing my
driver with it. I'll be collecting some data and moving this to
linux-usb-devel.

johannes