booting from USB/Firewire

Hi all,

I have been following the list for a while and would like to try debian on my Powerbook G4. My internal HD is partitioned as when I bought it (one big HFS+ partition) and I don't want to repartition it at the moment (real estate is too expensive on the internal hard drive).

So I am thinking of acquiring a Firewire/USB external HD to put debian on. Looking at the archives of the list, I see nothing very encouraging, though there are no recent posts on the subject. Does anyone have a success story of booting from such a device? Or links to useful info?

Thanks.

--
Arnaud