Re: CPU Frequency -- min save value?

Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> writes:
> John Steele Scott <toojays@toojays.net> wrote:
>> The Linux kernel driver does not implement this (instruction cache throttling)
>> at all. Still, I get over four hours on battery on my 12" iBook G4 with 7447A
>
> At which backlight level? I'd never reached four hours with my new ibook
> (I had three and a half hour) and after a year and a few months I come up
> to three, but never four. But I use 12 as backlight level and the level
> can increase / decrease the time very heavy.

It has been a few months since I was regularly running off battery, but I was
usually using close to maximum backlight levels.

That was on a Gentoo system with kernel 2.6.9. I think what gave me the extra
time was the laptop-mode script and agressive hard disk spin-down times. I
have not measured or tweaked my battery life since switching to Ubuntu, since
I don't leave my desk so much these days.

Depending on your usage pattern, getting pbbuttonsd to be aggressive about
dimming the backlight can help as well.

cheers,

John