Re: No mol osx driver in debian ppc sarge?

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 10:37 +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt writes:
>
> > > mol-drivers-macosx is in non-free IIRC.
> [Package name corrected]
> >
> > Why ? They are all GPLd afaik ...
>
> Back when this split was made, it was determined that the Mac OS X
> drivers are based on sample code from Apple, which is licensed under
> the APSL, which is considered non-free.
>
> And mol-drivers-macos is in contrib because it is itself free, but
> requires non-free software to build.

Hrm... yes, though I suppose it could be made to build with MPW (can't
that be obtained for free now ? not sure. AFAIK, there is no gcc that
works good enough for MacOS 9)

As far as the OS X ones are concerned, the sample codes were pretty much
only class definitions (that is pretty much every method content got
rewritten), and APSL 2.0 is free afaik, even if not GPL-compatible. Note
however that the video driver still need to be build by OS 9 tools
afaik.

Ben.