XFree86

Could someone point me in the right direction. I am totally lost on this. I have searched and searched, and now I am totally confused. To get this to work do I need a newer kernel? I read somewhere that Someone having a similar problem had to recompile his kernel, and they used a benh patched one. Would that help me? Just what is the difference between the benH kerrnel and a normal one? I have tried different XF86Configs and the ones I have found on the internet look nothing like the one that I have, so could someone please help me? I am using Sarge with a 2.4 kernel, Rage128 pro graphics card, 16 MB VRAM, Apple Studio Display 17"

--Mike