Re: initrd.img ?

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 09:32 -0800, Paul J. Lucas wrote:
>  	If one is compiling a custom kernel, does one need the
>  	initrd.img file?
>
>  	I've compiled kernels before (it's been a while, however), and I
>  	don't remember about having to use an initrd.img file.  Can't I
>  	just point yaboot.conf directly at the vmlinux file?
>
>  	If I do need an initrd.img file, how does one make one?
>
>  	- Paul

The initrd file is the Initial Ram Disk that holds the modules that are
needed for the system to boot. I don't know if you can do without it,
but all of my machines need the initrd since I compile ext3 and reiserfs
as modules and these are needed to read the filesystem and have to be
loaded via the initrd.

To make an initrd.img file, use the command mkinitrd. Look up the man
pages for more info as it's a very simple command to use.

Regards,
Wee-Jin