Re: disabling DRC range

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:07:53PM +0100, Moritz Armingeon wrote:

I think you have to disable/turn up the DRC mixer.

How could DRC range be disabled?

I grepped /etc/alsa/ and my kernel configuration but failed to find
something relevant.

Moreover, what does disabling DRC range implies? Before ALSA I was not
aware of it and I used to live happily ...

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

In laymen terms (myself being the laymen), dynamic range control is a way to control the
loudness dynamically.

An example will clarify...

You are watching a movie and most of the dialect is soft spoken so you have the volume
raised fairly high. On occasion there are massive gun fights and because the volume is so
loud, the gun fights are unbearably loud.

With DRC this would be adjusted dynamically so that the two were seemingly within the same
range of volume.

You can read more about it for in depth explanations but that's the basic gist.

	- Albert Einstein