Re: Using MacOSX drivers from Linux

Sven Luther wrote on 26-02-2005 16:22:
[snip]

Yep. But nobody tried to go this way yet, i am not entirely sure of why
though. I think it was mentioned in previous threads about this subject
though.

Some time ago I started inspecting this issue (although I'm no expert wrt ppc assembly and such) and using otool you can inspect airport extreme driver. [0] There are interesting symbols [1] and I just started looking some documentation about IOKit and darwin's driver architecture (luckly apple' site is full of docs) However I can't tell if it feasible to load kexts a-la ndis-wrapper and execute the code (given that we know as registers are used). anyone?

filippo

[0] /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2

[1]
$ otool -tV AppleAirPort2
[...]
_SetWepKey:
00038730        mfspr   r0,lr
00038734        stmw    r28,0xfff0(r1)
00038738        stw     r0,0x8(r1)
0003873c        stwu    r1,0xfef0(r1)
00038740        or      r28,r4,r4
[...]
and some symbols are visually disassembled
[from __start]
0003eadc        lis     r2,ha16(__realmain)
0003eae0        lwz     r12,lo16(__realmain)(r2)
0003eae4        cmpwi   cr7,r12,_KernelDebugSetLevel
0003eae8        beq+    cr7,0x3eafc