Re: Approaches to enabling scanning for AirPort (not Extreme)

Sven Luther wrote:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:30:42AM -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:

Sven Luther wrote:

Or I can send you the patch if you'd like to build your own kernel.

What about filling a bug report against the debian kernels instead ?

And for your information, there where such patches inside the 2.6.7/8
powerpc
kernels ages ago, but i don't know what Jens did to those, let me check the
changelog ... Oh, i think it was this one :

kernel-patch-powerpc-2.6.6 (2.6.6-5) unstable; urgency=low
  * Removed the patch adding monitor mode to the Airport card driver.  It
    is outdated, unstable, and was only intended as a placeholder from
    the
    very beginning.
-- Jens Schmalzing <jensen@debian.org>  Fri, 28 May 2004 18:20:48 +0200

I guess it was older than i remembered. What about your patch, where did
you
get it from, and any chance of it getting upstream ?

The only way I see this getting into Linus' tree is by someone like Ben
signing off on it.
I've gone through the code but frankly don't posses the clout nor the
experience to say that
things are legit.

Who wrote that code ? And if you do, the first step to getting it in is to ask
for comment on the mailing lists, and to push for it. It may be a daunting
task, as there is chance those guys will just ignore you at first, maybe a
kind of selection process of waht code goes in, where code goes in only if
people care enough.

I'm not sure of the original author but there are credits on a few chunks of code...

+     * Set the rfmon mode of the card, if we're in rfmon.  Otherwise, the firmware
+     * starts sending out a flood of probe requests.  We already reinited the firmware
+     * before.
+     *    - Dragorn

+    /* Re-initialize the card before changing channel as advised at
+     * http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/wireless/2002-June/004491.html
+     * by Ian Goldberg.  Implementation by Pat Swieskowski.
+     */

Before we put ourselves out there it would be nice to get some input from list members who
have tried this patch. I have no problems with the code but Barry seems to be having some
(see his post). Perhaps we can sort this out.

Ok, could you perhaps contact the authors and ask them about upstream status ?

I'll contact Dave Gibson and Pavel Roskin about it. They currently maintain orinoco but Ben
has also had a hand in the drivers evolution so he may have some ideas of where the code is
lacking and how we can improve it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
	- Albert Einstein