Re: Kernel 2.6.*: vlock breaks sleep button?

Hi Matthias

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:15:08PM +0100, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 02:15:20 +0100
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Some time ago I heard of this problem and a possible sollution.
> The following test shows parts of the appropriate thread:
>
> ## THREAD START ##

                      [ ... ]

> > There is a symbol in the kernel sources calles SUSPEND_CONSOLE,
> > defined in kernel/power/power.h. If you remove this symbol (there is
> > no config option for that so you have to modify the source files
> > directly), compile and install this patched kernel, your script worked
> > as desired. But be carefull: I just verified my theory and haven't
> > checked all side effects of this patch.
>
> Me again... with solution, now.
>
> "vlock -a" prevents console switching and kernel tries to switch to
> console MAX_NR_CONSOLES-1, which is 63.  But if we are on the console
> 63, then kernel does not switch (or something) and there is no
> incompatibility. :]
>
> The script below works quite well (but not perfectly):

            [ ... ]

> ## THREAD END ##
>
>  I hope this will help you solving your problem

Thanks, but no: I don't understand anything of the code in the sources:
So I'll mess with stuff I understand, and keep my hands off the rest
of it .. And, yes, I also didn't quite get so far on how to adjust
some new script safely to the scripts already being in /etc/power/ ...

So I'll simply wait and hope that the kernel folks working for IBM,
RedHat etc. will fix the problem that results from the new feature with
the extra console for sleep mode:

This bug will be rather annoying in production environments where
people would leave for some period of time their office chairs,
vlocking their computers, and trying to get the machine into sleep
mode -- wondering that it doesn't work as it did in 2.4 ... :)

3 months, or sooner, and this bug will be fixed. I'd bet ... :)
Or that's what I'd hope at least ... :)

PS: With Google I could not find the thread mentioned above: Did you?

Thanks for your time, Matthias

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--