Re: usb midi support in dma_sound?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:59:52PM -0500, vze26m98 wrote:
> I've got the dma_sound driver loaded in a Woody distribution on my Pismo
> laptop.  Could anyone tell me what kind of midi support if should expect
> from this driver?  I've got a number of usb midi interfaces.

The dmasound driver is only for digital audio. In particular, dmasound_pmac
is just the support for various onboard sound chips on macs.

> If I 'cat </dev/midi0', I get a 'no such device' message.  I appear to
> have /dev/midi0, /dev/midi1, /dev/midi2, /dev/midi3, /dev/midi00,
> /dev/midi01, /dev/midi02 and /dev/midi03.
>
> Also, is there a /dev device for raw input/output with these usb midi
> devices?  I think dmesg is telling me that hub.c/usb.c recognizes the
> device, (an M-audio Quattro) but it's not being claimed by any driver.

There is a driver called usb-midi in 2.6 kernels that claims to support
a reasonable list of devices. It seems to be compiled as a module in
the default Debian kernel config. You may want to try it out.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com