Re: Booting from an External USB HDD

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:38:32PM +0100, Francisco Gimeno wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to this list. I'm willing about installing a Debian into a external
> usb hdd ( Lacie 40GB ) for my iBook G4. But I don't know if it's possible.
>
> I don't want to break the actual MacOSX installation, so I would to know:
> 1) is possible to install Debian into a External USB HDD?
> 2) could I use a key-combination when booting to access to that drive whenever
> I want to run Debian?
> 3) does anybody got it?
>
> I have search about it but I didn't found any guide. Maybe you could help me
> with a link or so.
Disclaimer: I never actually tried installing on a USB HD. But I got my
Powerbook booting from an USB Memory Stick.
There is some information about booting form USB in the Sarge
Installation Manual at
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/ch05s01.html

AFAIK there is no way to directly boot from USB with a single key
combination. So you have to go through OpenFirmaware to boot from your
external disk. The instructions in the manual probably need some
adaption for booting from an USB HD.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.