Re: albook g4 + external hard drive

Hi Tamas,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:16:17AM -0500, Tamas K Papp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I about to buy an external hard drive (or an enclosure+hard drive),
> either USB or Firewire.
>
> I would like to ask how to check if this will be supported by Debian,
> is there something to watch out for, whether you would recommend USB
> 2.0 or Firewire.
>
> If you have specific models which are working with your linux, I would
> appreciate if you shared that.  I am looking for a cable-powered one.
>
> Tamas
I recently had the chance to test one of the new external 300GB Hard
drives. It worked out of the box on my PB G4 12" and a colleagues' 17"
using firewire and usb. The only concern I'd have with that drive comes
from the bad experiences in reliability I have with internal maxtor
disks at work.  Some months year ago I plugged in a firewire drive -
don't know the model, probably noname - and ist also worked flawlessly.

HTH,

Wolfi