Bingo! :) [was: Re: PPC Firewire support on 2.4.18[ .... ]? ]

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:25:32PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Wolfgang" == Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> writes:
>
>     Wolfgang> The details: The hard disk broke on a PowerBook G4
>     Wolfgang> (TitaniumIV). The repair service already installed a new
>     Wolfgang> disk to this machine. I need access to the old disk: The
>     Wolfgang> repair service will give me the chance to access the
>     Wolfgang> data on the old disk via a firewire connection from the
>     Wolfgang> Titanium to the broken disk. This will happen tomorrow
>     Wolfgang> noon.
>
> I have used recent d-i builds (Sarge RC2 and later, kernel 2.6.8) to
> boot a G4 laptop and it has detected an external firewire drive
> succesfully. The external drive in question was a newer G5 tower in
> target disk mode ;-)
>
> Might be worth a try: boot from CD, go to virtual terminal, mount two
> disks, and copy?
>
> Cheers!
> Shyamal

The subject line says it all, as I hope: I could recover all data as
needed from the old, broken hard disk: I managed it with the (IIRC)
2.4.27 kernel, that I installed some hours ago, and with a firewire
connection to the broken disk outside the Titanium IV.

I don't think I'd made it thus far without the help, the time and
knowledge of the persons contributing to this thread.

So my thanks and kudos go out to (order of appearance):

vinai
Eddy Petrisor
Shyamal Prasad
Thomas
Gabriel Paubert

You saved me additional work of many weeks: I could recover the
configs for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. Everyone who ever has worked on a
kernel config as meticuously as I did can imagine how long it can take
until finish.

And I could save all configs in /etc/ and $HOME: Most of this stuff
was written after hours of googling around, with dozens of trials and
errors: Without these configs I'd have to start all over from nearly
zero on the system on my new hard disk: So all in all you've saved me
probably months of addtional work.

>From my memory, lousy as it is ... :) ... : The details of the
recovery:

It worked like a charm: Even in my wildest dreams I wouldn't have
thought that it would go as smoothly as it actually did:

As I said: The kernel that was doing the job was, IIRC:
2.4.27-powerpc-pmac 2.4.27-1:
After booting the machine with the new hard disk/OS all I had to do was
mounting the old disk that was connected via Firewire to the Titanium IV.

Really helpful was the running of the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script (part
of the scsitools package, IIRC), just before mounting the disk outside
the Powerbook. This script gave me the chance to verify that Linux
indeed could see the disk outside the machine. From there on it only
took me a minute of headscratching until I could guess the names Linux
is giving to this sort disk I wanted to mount on the Powerbook:
"sd[x]". This because the output of the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script
doesn't tell these names such as sda1, sda2 etc. ... seems at least
this time my lousy memory did a reasonable good job ... :)

Again: Thanks to everyone; hoping your week-end will become as fine as
mine, after these hours, definitely will be ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang