Re: Contents of /boot and /etc/yaboot.conf

Shyamal Prasad wrote:

If you built your kernel with make-kpkg you need to provide the
--initrd switch to create an initrd kernel. If you do that then when
you install the kernel (with dpkg -i <kernel-pkg-name>.deb) it will
create the initrd image for you. Which part of this do you think
failed?

I didn't use the --initrd options (or the added-patches options, either) to make-kpkg. I made the mistake of assuming that the defaults would be sensible. I'm rebuilding using make-kpkg now with the --initrd option and PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES (althought the Debianlogo patch failed utterly. :-( )

Oh, yes, since you really do seem to enjoy poking a system to death (I
mean that as a compliment) you might find these commands mildly

<throws up hands> *I* just wanted to install a wireless adapter. :-)

It scares me that I'm giving you all this advice. I've built kernels
twice this decade (last December to boot my spanking new G5 whose
970FX processors were unsupported by Debian the day I bought it, and
in early 2002 to boot an 8 year old "laptop" with a broken SCSI card).

Heh.  So far it's been quite useful, thanks.

Chris

--
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life - so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
~ M. Cartmill