Re: blade JS20 running debian

Am 19.01.2005 um 17:05 schrieb grave:

Hi !

We successfully installed a debian system on a js20 blade (2.2 powerpc 970FX). We first tryed the d-i pseries.img from cajus without success, we thought this was due to a conflic between the SOL configuration and the eth0 interface (we have only one switch in our blade center), after we tryed the d-i cdrom from 12.01.2005 and after the same cdrom + last daily build kernel without much more success... We so used a method from Chris Tillman (http//www.burgettsys.com/stories/59455/), we installed a suse entrerprise 9 downloaded from novel site for evaluation. During installation we only have to do a "special" partionning :
hda1 ppc prep boot 0.5 MB
hda2 swap 1.4 GB
hda3 10 GB linux ext3 (/ for debian /debian for suse)
hda4 extended
hda5 10GB linux ext3 (/home)
hda6 15.7 GB linux ext3 (/ for suse )

This disk partionning doesn't reboot with yaboot, so we rebotted with the CDROM (install nointrd root=/dev/hda6) and then copy
/etc/yaboot.conf to /debian/etc/yaboot.conf
/boot to /debian/boot
modify /debian/etc/yaboot.conf the device part has to move partition 6 to 3. All of this because yaboot.chrp try to find kernel+yaboot.conf on the first linux primary partition

Once you have done this, you have a suse able to boot from hard disk, from my powermac under linux I aliend debootstrap to rpm, and with this do a debian install...
for booting debian one shouldn't forget to copy
/lib/modules/2.6.5-7.97-pseries64 to the /debian partition and edit
/etc/modules in order to have a bcm5700 line in it.
packages to install also : module-init-tools
ssh is also a must...
also edit /etc/inittab and add this line if you want sol console :
hvc0:1235:respawn:/sbin/getty -L 9600 hvc0 vt100
comment the getty usual lines

We have still 6 JS20 to install and I want to do and test a full install with d-i on one... I prefer to test d-i on CDROM but the d-i CDROM I produced wasn't able to boot even a powermac, so if somebody can point me a link to produce an up to date CDROM I'll be happy to test it on my last JS20 to install (others will be simply cloned).

I'm interested in getting the stuff running on a JS20 blade, too. My first intention was to provide a pSeries optimized installation, your mail came after that ;-)

The installer kernel has been recompiled several times now, but due to a mail of Anton Blanchard this doesn't seem to work yet. Can you continue testing
with my installer image and provide some information about what fails?

I'm also interested in the contents of /proc/device-tree/vdevice for the automatic
detection of the veth and vscsi devices. Can you provide a tar-ball?

Cheers,
Cajus