Getting 7500 w/ G3 upgrade card to boot w/ quik

I have a 7500 with a G3 upgrade card (Sonnet Crescendo G3/PCI 250Mhz 512K
cache) that I'm having trouble getting to boot w/ quik.  I can run the
boot / root disks just fine, but after installing quik and rebooting the
system hangs.  I've spent the better part of the day going through various
troubleshooting tips, a fair bit of which came from the NetBSD stuff here:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/

Here is what I've managed to figure out.  If the Mac can get to the grey
rom screen the card is useable, it'll boot the Debian boot installer just
fine as it will also boot MacOS 8.5 as well.

I have reset the CUDA switch.

I have applied the patch to get open firmware to display on the chaos
video controller rather than tty1, as documented here:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/of105patch.html

I have installed the Sonnet card drivers on disk w/ MacOS in the hopes it
would reprogram the nvram.

I've tried re-running quik after each of these stages to no avail.

I am seeing what is documented here:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#cpu-upgrade

which is the system will run fine with the 601 proc but not the G3 upgrade
(likewise, I have a 604 in another system running fine as well).

Given that, what have I not tried or do I need to try in order to get this
to work?  I feel like it's just a matter of tweaking the nvram but how /
what needs to be tweaked I've not found great documentation for.

Thanks,

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's