Re: 43p-140 install issues

On Monday 03 January 2005 05:15, Mike Martin wrote:
> Now I'm very confused .... on my next reboot ... the network wouldn't
> work. After much trial and error, I got the current unstable d-i image
> to work. It did it all right up to the reboot (where is warns you that
> it doesn't have a boot loader installed).
>
> Now what!
>
> I have an installed system, but I can't figure out how to boot it! I
> have /boot/vmlinux on /dev/sdb1 and a root on /dev/sdb1. How do I
> write a boot sector or tell OpenFirmware to boot from this file? I
> tried to netboot and set root=/dev/sdb1 - but without the scsi modules
> loaded it fails to read the drives and panics.
>
> I think I neet to create a type 41 PReP boot partition and get the
> kernel onto it. I've found this thread:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2002-09/msg00016.html
>
> and this:
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/champion_server/rs6k.shtml
>
> I tried booting up with the installer, going to a shell after the scsi
> was active and the installed system was mounted. I used sfdisk from
> /target/sbin to create a 10 Meg type 41 partition on the first HD
> (/dev/sdb0 eventually). I used dd to copy /target/boot/vmlinux to this
> partition. But it still won't boot.

I succeeded last year to install a woody on a 143P-140 whith the help of Leigh
Brown (thanks to him again). And two 150 whit sarge also.

I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that your image on the prep partition
(should be type 0x41) is not able to determine where the root is, so Leigh
did a piece of code named "preptools" in order to patch the image with the
location of root.

To see if this can help, can you boot from openfirmware (BTW, is it the last
version? and have you updated the load_base and real-base values?) with this
parameter ?
     boot disk root=/dev/whatever_root_sda_is

Hope this helps.