Re: PowerPC desktop -- asking for trouble?

Ciao Igor Khavkine, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

> First are there viable alternatives to Apple computers
> for a PowerPC desktop? Can I get decent hardward without
> an OS for a reasonable price?

As for the first question, take a look here:

https://www.pegasosppc.com/store.php

As for the second question: I think that stuff is definitely overpriced.
Good hardware for sure, but overpriced: for sure it costs less than buying
an original iMac, but for that price you can buy an Athlon64 machine that
overpowers in every way a G4@1GHz.

> Second, how much trouble am I asking for as opposed to
> buying an Intel or AMD based machine?

Here we are speaking about running linux. If you decide to buy an Apple
machine with MacOSX you will find yourself with the easiest desktop around.

It's not that much of trouble: new distros as Ubuntu and Yellowdog provide
an easy desktop, that you can install in minutes and use right away.

> One thing that
> comes to mind is that I may not be able to use windows
> DLL's for video codecs.

Right. Stuff like mplayer codecs and flash player are forbidden.

> Some binary only, but useful,
> applications are only avaiable for x86 (such as, Real
> Player, Acroread, Maple, Mathematica). Anything else
> I should be aware of?

Well, the qemu project is growing fast, so it could take quite a little
time to see an emulation of i386 hardware on PPC.
But as for *now*, it is not the case.

> Also, is there any emulation
> software that I could use to run OS X apps under linux?

Mac-On-Linux. But it only makes sense if you have MacOS/MacOSX installed
(I don't know if you can install it via linux, but I think not): which
means you have an Apple machine and we go back to the start.

And if you are a pervert like me, no, you *cannot* run windows in
virtualPC in OSX in Mac-On-Linux in linux. :)

> Lastly, If I get a G5 PowerMac, will I be able to unstall
> Debian on it (unstable is fine)? Is there any crucial
> hardware that still doesn't have Linux drivers?

I see that price is not your concern.
Then, go for the G5 (which in fact *is* the best machine around) and
browse the old messages of this list to read interesting stories about
PowerMacs and Debian.

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449