Re: Java missing again?

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:19:52 -0500,
Barry Hawkins <barry@alltc.com> wrote:

> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> | Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:51:40 -0500,
> | Gregory Seidman <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:
> |
> |>Has anyone thought to port/extend java-package to work with the IBM
> |>PPC JDK? I've used it with great success on Sun's JDK distributions
> |>on x86. I'm afraid I don't actually undestand it well enough to
> |>modify it, though.
> |
> | Hi Gregory, you'd better spend your energy in free runtimes ;-)
> |
> Arnaud,
> ~ Many of us are eager for the free runtimes to catch up (and
> beginning to get involved), but if you need to do many of the tasks a
> typical Java developer would need, i.e. to run Eclipse to work on a
> J2EE project, a full-blown 1.4 JDK is a necessity.  I had posted a
> question similar to this about making a dummy package for PPC on the
> debian-java list[0] on December 12th.

Sorry, I can't help, I never did it myself. I admit I have IBM JDK in
/usr/local but it's not really well integrated in my system.

> ~ With the recent flurry of posts about the need to use the IBM JDK,
> wouldn't it make sense to enhance java-package to provide an option
> for PPC folks, even it is a "bridge technology" of sorts while free
> java catches up?

It's the magic of Debian: if you want it do it ;-) By the way, I'm very
busy in my day job at the moment and I'll be more busy until mi-february
where I hope it'll be cooler, then I'll help on setting up the developer
rooms with Pascal Bleser at the FOSDEM (http://fosdem.org) (I also have
a real life! ;-) I just found a new house, well, doesn't matter)

I just want you to know, that I don't have all the time I'd like working
for Debian. So I prefer to give all my energy in packaging new gjdoc,
new kaffe and try to run my projects and my packages with free tools.

If a bug report is filed and a good patch is attached, I can apply it,
test it and upload the package, but I'll not give the little free time I
have on this package.

Cheers,

- --
  .''`.