Re: Java debs anyone?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:31:02 -0800, Eric Gaumer
<gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu> wrote:
> I wish everyone would stop saying that mono is irrelevant. It is
> absolutely relevant to this entire topic. We are arguing over licensing
> issues. Mono is free and Java is not. C# is geared at superseding Java.

Since I know very little about programming in Java OR Mono, Google
turns up this:

http://www.go-mono.com/java.html

I gather that Java emulation is a goal of some Mono developers, but
it's not there yet, and given how hard it must be to support things
like browser plugins, it may be a long time before it becomes a
"drop-in" replacement.

In my opinion end-user pressure is the only currency IBM and SUN have
with their restrictive licenses... once there is a free solution
available their licenses will become irrelevant. But if that takes
another year or two that will seem a LONG time!