Re: Java debs anyone?

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 13:36 -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:

> Eric Gaumer wrote:
> [...]
> | If you feel so passionate about free software then lets boycott the use
> | of Java. Who is willing to go that far for their beliefs?
> |
> | Like I mentioned earlier, dump Java and start supporting mono. It's
> | fully open and could easily rival Java. C# already fixes all the
> | nuisances and problems Java has. It is what Java wanted to be.
>
> Eric,
> ~    Your claim that Mono "could easily rival Java" is rather general and
> quite unfounded.  If you want to start a thread on Mono advocacy, then
> feel free, but the issue at hand is appropriately respecting licenses.
> ~    There are people on the Debian development teams who have gone to
> great lengths to ensure that order and propriety are maintained within
> the Debian packaging system, including observance of and adherence to
> licenses.  If you are going to flout adherence to licensing, please keep
> it to yourself and cease with this relativistic rhetoric.

Nobody is mocking the license, we're just trying clarify what exactly it
permits.

If you have a degree in IP law then please comment, if not then I'm not
interested in your ad hoc opinion of how to interpret the license or in
some lecture on moral ethics.

I wish everyone would stop saying that mono is irrelevant. It is
absolutely relevant to this entire topic. We are arguing over licensing
issues. Mono is free and Java is not. C# is geared at superseding Java.
I've written code in both and C# has improved upon many of Java's
features. I've studied high level languages but I don't feel this is the
place to discuss such topics. If you think Java can compete then that's
your opinion and I'm not going to waste my time trying to change that.
Eventually you will see things more clearly.

Java still does some things better but C#/mono is still in it's
infancy.

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>