Re: Testing newoldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies

On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 06:12 AM, Sven Luther wrote:

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:00:55AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
Hi,

Rick Thomas writes:

The 2.6 images now fit on a physical floppy, so that's good.
Unfortunately, the resulting floppy doesn't boot on my G3.  It reads
and gives me a tux-mac icon, but when it gets to the end the screen
colors invert, and it just sits there.  No text screen.  The boot
floppy doesn't eject.  When I eject it manually, feed it the "root"
floppy, and hit <return>, nothing happens.

This is probably a matter of passing the correct kernel command line
(you want a video= parameter for the screen and load_ramdisk=1
prompt_ramdisk=1 for reading the root floppies).  The command line
goes into the resource fork of the System file on the miBoot floppy,
and you need Mac OS and ResEdit for changing it.

Jens, when you built those miboot floppies that worked, what command line
options did you use ? We currently have :

  root=0200 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 devfs=mount

and :

  root=0200 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 devfs=mount video=ofonly

Also, could you give those daily built floppies a try, since you where able to
make it work previously ?

I have MacOS and I can install ResEdit. Let me be sure I understand the procedure here...

Running MacOS-9, I put the boot floppy in the drive and wait for MacOS to mount it for me.

I then use ResEdit to modify the appropriate resource (any clues as to which? I've never used ResEdit for anything but "cookbook" stuff before...) to have the command line options I want.

I then eject the floppy, re-insert it, and reboot -- which *should* boot from the modified floppy.

I seem to recall that there was some problem with allowing MacOS to mount an miboot boot floppy because the system folder would get "un-blessed" when MacOS recognized a cuckoo's egg in it's nest? Any hints on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Rick