Re: [rplu] Re: Installing Debian on P43-140

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 06:40, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Juergen Braun writes:
>
> > debian stable installation [...] kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc
>
> The kernel image in this package is an uncompressed ELF file (called
> vmlinux), while you need a compressed kernel image file with PReP boot
> code glued onto it.  Those are typically called vmlinuz or
> zImage.prep.  The one from the boot floppy should do fine; after all,
> it managed to boot your machine for installation.
>
> > And tried to install the bootloader with
> > yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3 -b /dev/sda1
> [...]
>
> > What's the problem with this error message?
>
> > Why isn't the system booting from disk?
>
> Because you have a PReP machine, and PReP is for real men who don't
> bother with flimsy bootloaders and other fancy stuff.
>
> In order to get a kernel onto the PReP boot partition, just write it
> there.  The exact command is
>
>  dd if=/where/you/keep/your/zImage.prep of=/dev/sda1
Works perfect.
I used the image I already booted in the installation mode
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.4.19/zImage.prep-2.4.19
and dumped this to /dev/sda1

Now it boots directly from disk!

Thanks

Will continue to test the new debian installer and will create a kernel
directly on my RS6000 box.