Installing Debian on P43-140

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 07:23, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Juergen Braun writes:
>
> > The stock debian kernel didn't work,
>
> Which one was that?  Could you try the new 2.6 based debian-installer,
> available for example from
>
> <URL:http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/>
>
> and report your success or failure to debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org?
I'm trying the new installer but with no success so far (already maild
to the debian-powerpc mailing list)

But I installed debian with the boot floppy from

 http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.4.19/zImage.prep-2.4.19
and the root-floppy from

http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/prep/images-1.44/root.bin

and this started a debian stable installation.

I also booted the installation with the zImage.prep-2.4.19 floppy and
installed a new kernel kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc
But can't get the machine to boot from disk

I have the following partitioning:
                              Disk Drive: /dev/sda
                             Size: 9100369920 bytes
              Heads: 64   Sectors per Track: 32   Cylinders: 8678

    Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]
Size (MB)

    sda1        Boot        Primary   PPC PReP
Boot                        2.10
    sda2                    Primary   Linux swap
511.71
    sda3                    Primary   Linux ext3
4095.74
                            Pri/Log   Free Space
4490.01

And tried to install the bootloader with
yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3 -b /dev/sda1

p43:~# yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3 -b /dev/sda1
yaboot is the Linux Loader for PowerPC.  yabootconfig sets up your
system to boy
from your hard disk, without the need for a boot CD, floppy or a network
boot.
Install yaboot bootstrap on /dev/sda1 to boot Linux from /dev/sda3?
[Yes]
Creating a simple /etc/yaboot.conf...
Running mkofboot to make the disk bootable...
mkofboot: Warning: Incompatible version of `nvsetenv', nvram will not be
updated
Done
p43:~#

What's the problem with this error message?
Why isn't the system bootgin from disk? The following boot order is
configured:
floppy
cdrom
disk