nVidia 24bit color suport?

I was wondering if it is possible to get 24 bit color with the nVidia  in the powerbook GeForce4 440 Go 64M for the G4 867?

I am currently only getting 8bit color. Everything that comes from blender, yafray, or povray looks like funk because of the color rings.

I was wondering what work has been done to get the framebuffer to support 24 bit color. I am using kernel 2.6.6 at the moment. I am pretty sure the rivafb does not work in the 2.6 series yet (correct me if I am wrong).

Besides signing a petition to nVidia what can I do to help? I know c (but have never written a driver) and am in the process of learning assembly. Is there anything I can do? where should I start?

Thanks,
Jeremiah