problems with kernel-source-2.6.8-5 on powerbook 15" 1.33GHz

Hi,

I have just bought a Powerbook 15" 1.33GHz. I installed Sarge on it, then
upgraded to Sid. The kernel installed by the installer is 2.6.7.
However, I have not been able to run a 2.6.8 kernel. I've had a few different
problems.

If CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y and CONFIG_PREEMPT=y the kernel freezes with a blank
screen very early in the boot sequence (it alos does that on my x86 btw).
I didn't need highmem support it so I dropped it.

Now, the kernel boots, but cannot open the /dev/hda3 where the root
parition lies. It panics with the message "VFS: cannot open root device
"/dev/hda3" or unknown-block=(3,3)"

I have searched the past few months' archives and it seems this problem has
happened several times before, but there was different solutions given every
time. Usually it involved setting specific ide support options in the kernel.

The first kernel configuration I tried w.r.t ide used only the Mac-specific
options (and enhanced support and IDE/ATA-2 disk support).
As it didn't work, I added PCI IDE support, and then even all the available
ide drivers.
None of these worked. Same kernel panic.

The current running kernel has the following options w.r.t hd IDE set:

CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=m
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SL82C105=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SC1200=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_OLD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW=m
CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=Y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_ATA100FIRST=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PMAC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PMAC_AUTO=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

Note that this running kernel uses initrd. I don't want to use it for my own
kernel, so of course ide support was built-in.

Would you have any idea ?

Thanks,
Sam
--
Never try to explain computers to a layman.  It's easier to explain
sex to a virgin.

    - Robert Heinlein