Re: Touching vmlinux.coff, was Re: Current benh-kernel fails to boot (after clock) on iBook G4

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:27:02PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello Sven,
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:22:42PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > I reported this as bug #247850, so if you are in the position to help
> >
> > Against which package ?
>
> Against kernel-package, as this contains the make-kpkg I used (as
> recommend by the ibook guides out there).

Well, this is not a bug against kernel-package, at least i belive that
from a cursory examination, but a bug in whatever kernel-source you are
using.

> > Ah, i believe those .coff files are used on some older pmacs to boot
> > directly from the OpenFirmware, without using yaboot or a similar boot
> > loader. I believe that the problem should have been fixed in the debian
> > powerpc patch, not sure though.
>
> This would explain why a "pristine" kernel is affected while Debian
> provided are not.

Nope, since the kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac contains both the .coff
and the elf vmlinux. I believe this is a bug in the -benh snapshot you
are using, a bug i probably fixed a few month ago, and is present in the
package.

I would recomend you install kernel-source-2.4.25, and apply the patch
in kernel-patch-2.4.25-powerpc to it, and you should not have this
problem.

> P.S. Since there are many subtle details when setting this machine up
>      properly, I am still on my way, but I try to figure out bugs if I can
>      and report them so future people will have even less trouble.
>      Unfortuntely providing patches on this architecture is too early
>      for me :-((

Well, i don't know what you are trying to do, but you should be able to
just download the beta4 debian-installer (either one of the CD isos
would probably do) and install your box with that. No need for
selfcompiling any kernel or something.

Friendly,

Sven Luther