Re: SMP kernels on single processor machines

Jens Schmalzing wrote:

SMP kernels run
fine on single processor machines.  I have repeatedly been told,
however, that this bears a considerable performance hit on some
hardware.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?  Even small hints would
be appreciated.
A long time ago, I used to compile SMP into my kernels just on the coolness factor, and on the promise that 'one day, soon, I'll get me a decent machine' :)

But I quit doing that at some point, after someone (authoritative, but I can't remember the details) pointed out that it added complexity, debugging issues, etc. Given that I *already* have problems with PPC kernels -- latency/lockups, (preempting?), alsa sound, video res, etc., I personally wouldn't go near this until I'm fairly confident that the other stuff is solid in its own right.

But then, I'm just a luser, not a kernel maintainer ;D

--
Lee Braiden
lee_b@member.fsf.org