SMP kernels on single processor machines

Hi,

putting together another release of the Debian kernel image packages,
I am wondering whether we could get rid of half the packages by simply
not supplying single processor flavours - after all, SMP kernels run
fine on single processor machines.  I have repeatedly been told,
however, that this bears a considerable performance hit on some
hardware.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?  Even small hints would
be appreciated.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!