Airport Monitor Mode Patches

What's the current status of the monitor-mode patches for the Airport
(older 802.11b-only cards) kernel module? Six months ago I was able to
apply a patch posted in July '03 by Jens Schmalzing to the 2.4.23-benh
tree, but with partial success. The resulting kernel compiled fine and
monitor mode worked, but my system would only run for a brief period of
time before 'ksoftirqd_CPU0' ran out of control, consuming 99% of
processor time.

Are there any plans to roll the monitor-mode driver patches into the
main kernel tree at some point in the future? If not, why?

Paul