Re: Dim video on a G3

A long time ago I rebooted an iBook running OS X and started GNU/Linux (YDL 2.something). The screen was dimmed and the volume was turned down when I rebooted. These settings were stored in the PRAM and persisted as the max values for brightness and volume in my Linux session. It took a long time for me to realise what the problem was.

Anyway, if you're using BootX then you must have some version of MacOS installed (I think). Try booting MacOS and check the display settings there.

Does the monitor by chance have a brightness control? I could tell you a funny story about a guy, a new sound card, the sound drivers, two weeks of kernel recompilations and head scratching and the volume control on the external speakers. Really funny story.

Good luck.