Re: swsusp/pmdisk status on ppc?

At 23:54 Uhr +0200 19.04.2004, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 14:54, Christian Jaeger wrote:
 > (BTW kernels 2.6 are less responsive on this laptop than 2.4 was, and
 there's a strange slowness in line-buffered output to gnome-terminals,
 do you see this too?)

Yes, see Soeren Sonnenburg's posts about his.

Well, I could not find anything such in web mail archives using
google, only in google groups in linux.debian.ports.powerpc (well, is
this not the same as the debian-powerpc mailinglist? if so, it looks
like google has difficulty finding the post in the web archive).
There's no conclusion about the reason, just that you all suspect a
scheduler problem (which I do, too). Seems also that only few people
do see the problem.

I ended up setting up shell aliases for all commands that give much
output, to pipe through cat. This makes it buffered in large pieces
which makes it fast again.

BTW, another slowness is ps output - ps aux takes more time with 2.6
than 2.4, even if the output is not shown in terminal, so it's not
the "line buffer problem" but another scheduler slowness or the like.
ps is not a big problem, though, it's just that I've noticed this.

Last thing to say about it is that setting HZ to 100 did not help (it
only helped to make mol use less cpu).

Let me state again that I am using woody (with some stuff recompiled from sid).

Christian.