Re: debian-installer on a G5 Part II

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 07:18:36PM -0700, Scott McMahan wrote:
> After sub-partitioning the partition I left for
> debian, I got an error message about No NewWorld boot
> partition was found even though partition 2 was set up
> as one.  A drop into the shell to manually run
> mac-fdisk on /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> confirms that part 2 is Apple_Bootstrap.

debian-boot's a better place for these bug reports, by the way.

Did you create the boot partition beforehand, or in the installer? Can I
see a complete dump of what parted and/or mac-fdisk thinks of the
contents of the partition table?

The netinst from the 13th probably predates Anton's cleanups to
partman-newworld, though, so I'd suggest trying a newer daily build too.

> I continued on without incident until I got to the
> install yaboot step.  I got an error that the creation
> of the main yaboot configuration file failed.

Impressive; you should only get that if the actual write to
/target/etc/yaboot.conf fails, perhaps due to it not being mounted
properly or being out of space.

> Dropping into the shell again, 'yabootconfig --chroot
> /target' returned the error message '/dev/sda4 no such
> file or directory'

That's probably just confusion between devfs in the installer ramdisk
and traditional /dev in the target. Since yaboot has already been
installed in the target by that stage, 'chroot /target yabootconfig'
should work.

> My guess is that the problem is that the drive is
> mounted as /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> instead of /dev/sda and that this is due to not
> finding the ide-scsi module.  Can someone confirm or
> deny this?

I doubt that. /dev/scsi/... seems correct for devfs in the installer
ramdisk.

Is there anything illuminating in the logs on tty3 (/var/log/messages)
or tty4 (/var/log/syslog)?