Re: acme on Gnome: No sleep support for console and locked X Sessions?

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 21:32, Devin Carraway wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 08:04:55PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > -- Is it possible to put the machine to sleep with acme while
> >    being on console, or on a screensaver locked X if Gnome
> >    is installed?
>
> Unfortunately, no.  Acme can only sleep the machine if it gets the key
> event.  With the screen locked, xscreensaver eats the event, and at the
> console X doesn't see it at all.
>
> I waffled on the Conflicts:pbbuttonsd in acme for quite a while,
> specifically because acme represents a loss of functionality relative to
> {gtk,}pbbuttonsd in just the way you've described.  The justification is
> that the two really do conflict in their most obvious configurations; on
> some machines, using both at once can cause doubled or dropped key
> recover without logging in from outside and killing pbbuttonsd.
>
> Just in terms of getting your maching to sleep while locked, an earlier
> poster already had a workable suggestion -- flip the lid closed.
>
> Sorry for the half-answer.  If anyone has workable suggestions that
> don't involve breaking the general case, I'd be happy to hear them.

I removed acme some days ago, together with gnome and
gnome-desktop-environment.
And I have pdbuttonsd, gtkpbbuttons again working here.
All this with no problems so far for the rest of Gnome here, as it
seems. Except that I miss the pop-up images when pressing the Volume,
Brightness keys etc..

Note:
One probably should be carefully check the dependencies of gnome and
gnome-desktop-environment before removing them: IIRC, IIUC there are
situations where both could be needed.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards
Wolfgang