Re: acme on Gnome: No sleep support for console and locked X Sessions?

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 08:04:55PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> -- Is it possible to put the machine to sleep with acme while
>    being on console, or on a screensaver locked X if Gnome
>    is installed?

Unfortunately, no.  Acme can only sleep the machine if it gets the key
event.  With the screen locked, xscreensaver eats the event, and at the
console X doesn't see it at all.

I waffled on the Conflicts:pbbuttonsd in acme for quite a while,
specifically because acme represents a loss of functionality relative to
{gtk,}pbbuttonsd in just the way you've described.  The justification is
that the two really do conflict in their most obvious configurations; on
some machines, using both at once can cause doubled or dropped key
recover without logging in from outside and killing pbbuttonsd.

Just in terms of getting your maching to sleep while locked, an earlier
poster already had a workable suggestion -- flip the lid closed.

Sorry for the half-answer.  If anyone has workable suggestions that
don't involve breaking the general case, I'd be happy to hear them.

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, 1024D/E9ABFCD2;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++