Re: trouble while building vanilla kernel 2.6.5

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:19:38AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I'm unable to build vanilla kernel 2.6.5, the build process ends with
> the following error:
>
>   CC      drivers/char/n_tty.o
>   drivers/char/n_tty.c: In function `read_chan':
>   drivers/char/n_tty.c:993: internal compiler error: in decode_format_attr, at c-format.c:279
>   Please submit a full bug report,
>   with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>   See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
>   make[3]: *** [drivers/char/n_tty.o] Error 1
>   make[2]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
>   make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5'
>   make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
>
> Am I the only one having this problem? I haven't seen it reported here

What version of the compiler are you using? Try running 'gcc -v' or
'gcc --version' to get this info. These two command lines may print
out slightly different sets of data, so you may want to include both.

This is definitely a problem with gcc, although it may be triggered
by a problem in the kernel source. It is possible that you are using
an older version of gcc than other people.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com