Re: Success!

Hi,

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:28:26 -0400
Ron Murray <rjmx@rjmx.net> wrote:
> > There used to be a bug in quik that made it break on G3 processors.
> > It was originally written for 601 and 604 based boxes, and most
> > people started using BootX about the same time that G3 boxes became
> > popular. I'm pretty sure the patch for G3 support didn't make it
> > into woody. It probably works in sarge, but I'm not 100% sure on
> > that.
The woody and sarge versions work fine, at least on my beige G3 ; the
only potential problem is having to boot manually (i.e. type a boot
command at each boot/reboot)

>     I did get the g3 patch for quik, but it hasn't helped. It may be
> that I just have it configured wrong: this is all new stuff to me yet.
A great place for info on quik is  http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/,
whre you'll find general info on settings.

You'll have to look closer at your OF version -- if it is a revII (OF
2.4) G3, then you *don't* need to apply the "quik patch", which is
actually a modified first.b (although it won't hurt), but you have to
apply the OF patches (use System Disk -- see penguinppc above)
Once those are applied,  you should be able to boot quik with the usual
settings (correct boot-device, name of quik label in boot-file) and by
typing"0 bootr" at the OF prompt-- If you get a DEFAULT CATCH error,
type"reset-all" and retry

The '0 bootr' command won't let you auto-boot?, though, but that's the
only way I found to boot a RevII beige G3 with quik. I think
auto-booting might work for RevI G3s... but I'm not sure of this

Simon

--
Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the 'From:'