Re: Success!

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 12:28:26PM -0400, Ron Murray wrote:
> > 00:0e.0 Display controller: Integrated Micro Solutions Inc.:
> > Unknown device 9135 (rev 01)
> >	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 24
> >	Memory at 88000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
> >	Expansion ROM at 81840000 [disabled]
>

>    The thing did come with the Mac from Apple as far as I know, but I
> know no more about it. There's also this from the kernel boot sequence:

OK. This looks like an IMS Twin Turbo 128. Apple did ship them very
briefly, before they switched over to using ATI chips for everything.

> > MacOS display is /pci/IMS,tt3d
> > Using unsupported 1024x768 IMS,tt3d at 88000020, depth=16, pitch=2048
> > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
> > fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /pci/IMS,tt3d
>
>    I'm not certain exactly what driver it's using. And the
> "unsupported" bit worries me.

This means it is using offb, which just looks at the data OF knew about
your card and tries to use that. There was a driver for this card, but
I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been kept up to date with the
kernel. There was never a huge effort on them, but there used to be a
few people who cared.

>    I did get the g3 patch for quik, but it hasn't helped. It may be
> that I just have it configured wrong: this is all new stuff to me yet.

There were some bugs in various OF drivers in those days, since Apple
didn't actually use them to boot MacOS. What type of drive are you
using as your boot device? I seem to recall that the IDE driver needed
a patch to work reliably.

It was mostly these sorts of difficulties that made BootX so popular.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com