Re: 2.6.4 kernel

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:47:55PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Cool.
> >
> > Indeed... Desktop at 1600x1200 is far more snappier with preemptible patch
> > than with 2.4.25 kernel... ;))
>
> Beware that preempt is known to be broken on PPC; you'll get random
> segfaults once swap is being used.

Yeah :) It is also not recomended on x86, as it breaks drivers which
don't like to be preempted, like AC 97 sound and serial for example.

> > > Yes, noticed that also, will have a look.
> > > No, it has no influence. The new radeonfb implementation is probably the
> > > culprit.
> >
> > Ah, so I might try a recompile tomorrow with the old radeon driver...
>
> I doubt it'll make a difference. The framebuffer console parameters have
> changed in 2.6. In particular, all framebuffer devices now take the 'fb'
> suffix. Try video=radeonfb:1600x1200 .

And benh told me there was no such change when i asked him about that.

Oh, well, thanks for the info, i suspected something such, but hadn't
had time to look in detail about it though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther