Re: 2.6.4 kernel

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:54:50PM +0000, Martin Habets wrote:
> > box: Tibook 1GHz G4, ATI radeon 9000M, 10/100/1000
> > ethernet, orinico airport card(not extreme),
> > cd-rw/dvd-r, and a winmodem (nothing is perfect).
> >
> > i have a 2.4.21-ben2 kernel, and want to upgrade to
> > 2.6 series, so i have some questions before to make
> > the change:
> >
> > 2.6.4 has all the powerpc stuff?(no need of ben tree?)
>
> I still see Ben submitting some patches for some sleep stuff,
> so I'm going to stay on his tree for now.

I will probably include those fixes in the debian 2.6.4 powerpc patch i
plan to upload this week. That said, the latest -benh checkin i saw was
dated feburary 20, so ...

> > I need to upgrade from modutils to module-init-tools?
> > (for module stuff)
>
> Yes, definitely. Before you boot your new 2.6 kernel.

module-init-tools will diver the modutils stuff. I guess you can remove
modutils completely though, is that exact ?

> > can i steel have 3d accel?(dri-trunk of daenzer? comes
> > included with the kernnel?)
>
> It works for my radeon 7500 using unstable. I need to use the lcd_hack
> program
> from Ben sometimes.
> There is a conflict between the radeon driver in DRI mode and some real-time
> programs like qjackctl and rosegarden4 (if you're into that). So I don't
> load DRI
> in that case.

Notice that the use of standalone drm modules, either from Michel's
packages or from the XFree86 packages has been deprecated, and the
packages in the kernel sources should be used now. These are usually
uptodate though, so ...

> > I need kernel-headers-2.6.4-? (to recompile mol and
> > modem)Where can i get those?
>
> Have not seen a package for this (yet).

kernel-headers-2.6.4-1 - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.4

This is the x86 package, for the powerpc package, you will have to wait
for me to build them. I will upload them this week, but they will be in
the NEW queue for some time, so i will upload them to my
people.debian.org account, as usual.

Friendly,

Sven Luther