Re: debian-installer on oldworld -- how-to ?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:45:50AM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:34:45AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > You need an embedded ramdisk for the vmlinux.coff, right. What about
> > bootx, what kernel/initrd do you use for this setup ?
>
> Honestly, I haven't booted up an oldworld PowerMac recently. My Wallstreet
> PB was installed with woody, using a normal kernel image, and whatever
> root.bin file was standard for ppc Macs at the time. I installed it using
> bootx, and just selected the kernel binary and the root disk image as the
> initrd. It was pretty simple. My 7600 doesn't have Debian installed,
> because I haven't regularly used it in ages.

Ok, so :

  bootx -> kernel + initrd, can use the standard powerpc kernel and
           intird with the cdrom or netboot target.

  miboot -> kernel + initrd, needs the powerpc-small kernel and
            corresponding initrd, only the floppy target is built.

  quik -> no idea, my guess is that it can do something similar to the
          first case, but needs linux already bootable to setup.

  .coff OF booting -> needs a .coff kernel with a builtin initrd, works
                      only trough the serial console on old world pmacs.

> > > image if I needed to use an initrd. I don't think booting the installer
> > > directly from quik was ever supported before.
> >
> > Why should it not ?
>
> Well, I didn't try very hard, but I never got quik to properly use an
> initrd image. It may work if you know what you're doing, but I couldn't
> get it to work. It's also a pain to use quik without Linux already
> installed on the machine, so it's not very useful for an initial install.
> I don't think quik works reliably on anything other than a SCSI or IDE
> hard drive.

Ok. Seems reasonable. Though it would be nice to know if quik supports
an initrd, since it would be usefull to boot the all modular kernel with
modules on the initrd even for the final install.

Friendly,

Sven Luther