debian-installer on oldworld -- how-to ?

Hi,

I'm currently trying to try debian-installer on an OldWorld -- as I got
it, the CD won't be bootable, and no floppy images are available.

I found some vmlinux+initrd.gz downloads, but I don't know what to do
with it ? I tried booting the provided vmlinux with quik, specifying
initrd=<path_to_initrd.gz> on the command-line : it boots fine, but all
I get is my normal prompt. I suspect this is because I also specified
root=<current_root_device>, but I had no idea which other root device I
could use...

Is there an oldworld-specific debian-installer howto somewhere,
or am I missing something obvious (do I need specific packages
installed (for an installer ???), or won't it work with quik anyway,
or...)

I'd really like to test this, so any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Simon

--
Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header