Re: Trial Boot

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 06:39:11PM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on my alpb 15" I've installed Debian (with Ethan's XFS-image ;-)),
> MacOSX and OpenBSD. The partitiontable is as follows:
>
> $ fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda
>         #                    type name
> /dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple
> /dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap
> /dev/hda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /boot
> /dev/hda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /
> /dev/hda5         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap
> /dev/hda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr
> /dev/hda7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var
> /dev/hda8         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /burn
> /dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /working
> /dev/hda10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /source
> /dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /tmp
> /dev/hda12              Apple_HFS OSX
> /dev/hda13                OpenBSD OpenBSD
>
> Block size=512, Number of Blocks=117210240
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
>
> My yaboot.conf:
> $ grep -v "^#" /etc/yaboot.conf
>
> x=/dev/hda12

what is this?  there is no `x' option in yaboot.

> bsd=/dev/hda13
>
> boot=/dev/hda2
> device=hd:
> partition=3
> root=/dev/hda4
> timeout=30
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> fgcolor=black
> bgcolor=yellow
>
> image=/vmlinux-2.6.4-rc2-aragorn
> label=Debian3
> append:"idebus=66"

this syntax is wrong, you need append= not append:

> image=/vmlinux-2.4.23-newpmac
> label=linux
> read-only
>
> enablecdboot
>
> The OpenBSD root is on ?hda13:a? which is a HFS Partition. ofwboot

last i checked OpenBSD used UFS as its primary filesystem, HFS will
not work as a root filesystem for a UNIX type system.

> I copied from the OpenBSD install-image to
> /usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofwboot. Booting b gives an error-code 1:
>
> Any hints?

the way the bsd= option works is the bsd bootloader is invoked with
the OpenFirmware path to whatever your put after bsd= followed by
,/bsd which should be the kernel.  im not sure how a bsd disklabel
inside a normal partition is handled, OF won't have a real path to
such a bsd slice in that manner.  perhaps bsd makes up thier own fake
one or something, i don't know.  you can put your own OF path after
bsd= and ybin will use that as is.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/