Re: 2.4.25-1 debian kernel available based on -ben1 tree, G5 tester wanted.

Hi,

Sven Luther writes:

> > I noticed a mol-modules-2.4.25-powerpc package there.

> It is an unofficial package, which i usually provide for the pegasos
> folk, which are not really able to build them themselves,

I see.  That's okay by me then.  Still, I wonder whether the package
is really necessary with my packages in Debian proper, and a
synchronized upload would be nice no matter what.

> The main problem is that building modules from the headers doesn't
> seem to quite work, which is something i need to fix.

Plain and simple, building from the headers only will never work for
the current build structure of mol.

> I was thinking about having a list of modules (alsa, mol, etc ...) which
> we could build directly from the kernel package, so there would be no
> need to rebuild the kernel from sources as you currently do,
[...]
> What do you think of it ?

It's probably better to keep the pre-packaged modules in a separate
source package, mainly because they need to be rebuilt against new
releases of both the kernel and mol.  And I do *not* rebuild the
kernel, but only unpack and depend the source tree.  This is not a big
deal.

> BTW, what about -power3 and -power4 ?

Done, and uploaded.

> If you want, we can upload it to :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/current
>
> or something, and have this be an unofficial repo for packages uploaded
> to the NEW queue or something ?

Frankly, I don't like the idea of having repositories for the sole
purpose of working around the waiting time in queues.  I agree they
are nice for testing new packages, but so are sid and sarge.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!