Re: 2.4.25-1 debian kernel available based on -ben1 tree, G5 tester wanted.

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:29:01PM +0100, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have just uploaded the 2.5.25-1 kernel, and as it is NEW, made it
> > available at :
> >

> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/2.4.25-1
>
> I noticed a mol-modules-2.4.25-powerpc package there.  As the official
> maintainer of mol in general and of the pre-packaged mol-modules in
> particular I want you to know that I do not approve of this package

It is an unofficial package, which i usually provide for the pegasos
folk, which are not really able to build them themselves, since they are
mostly linux neophytes, and in order to not need to respond to strange
requests. I never have uploaded this to debian and never plan to. It is
a copy of my own packages, produced with make-kpkg modules_image, using
the -powerpc build tree.

I also use it for the drivers.tgz tarball for those pegasos users who
don't run debian, but assorted other random distros.

The main problem is that building modules from the headers doesn't seem
to quite work, which is something i need to fix.

> for a number of reasons.  In the future, let me know where to find
> your kernel packages beforehand, then we can prepare a synchronized
> upload.

Oh, ok, this makes sense.

I was thinking about having a list of modules (alsa, mol, etc ...) which
we could build directly from the kernel package, so there would be no
need to rebuild the kernel from sources as you currently do, just a wild
idea though. This would mean the kernel-patch package depending on
mol-sources, unpacking them somewhere (build-tmp/modules probably) and
set the needed make-kpkg magic to build them automatically in one go.
What do you think of it ?

> FYI, I have created mol-modules-2.4.25-powerpc packages for all three
> flavours (powerpc, powerpc-small, and powerpc-smp) and uploaded them.

BTW, what about -power3 and -power4 ?

> They are NEW as well, so please be patient while they queue up for
> inclusion into unstable.  If anybody absolutely needs the updated
> packages right now, drop me an email.

If you want, we can upload it to :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/current

or something, and have this be an unofficial repo for packages uploaded
to the NEW queue or something ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther