Strange modem prob on pismo

Hey All,

I've been living in India for 6 months, and I recently changed
apartments, and my dialup has stopped working.

The first issue was that the modem didn't recognize the dial tone on
my new line (which I fixed by telling it to ignore no dialtone
errors), but then the pon chatscript just times out without a
connection.

Under MacOS it works fine (I still have to tell it to ignore the
dialtone). So I'm not clear why it can connect under OS 9 but not
linux.

Since it isn't the modem hardware, I'm guessing that I need a
different initialization string? However OS 9 doesn't seem to give any
useful way of finding what init string is being used.

Does anyone have suggestions as to:
1) How to get the init string from OS 9
2) What init string to use under linux
3) Other possible causes solutions?